چهارشنبه، فروردین ۰۴، ۱۳۸۹

Start learning Java EE

Some times ago, a reader of this blog asked me to introduce him to some good resources to start learning Java EE. Unfortunately I didn't have time to do it back then. My apologies...
Objective: Learning Java EE
Prerequisites:
  1. Java: seriously! Knowing Java is absolutely essential. I know some developers (non-developers) that think since they do web centric tasks, they don't need to know Java. This argument is totally false. In JEE you don't drag and drop components, quite the contrary, often you need to make your hands dirty and do some coding.
  2. Relational Databases: You need to know about tables and queries.
  3. Web concepts: You need to know about request and response and how HTTP works. Again I recommend reading Joel's post about leaky abstractions. Head First Servlets & JSP is a good resource to start. See the books section ;)
How to start:
  • Java EE is huge. So you can't and won't learn all of it at once. My suggestion is to go for the web profile of Java EE 6. There are two reasons for that. First the web technologies are more interesting and second they are easier to learn.
  • My favorite web framework is JSF. I suggest that you learn about Servlets and JSPs and then go for JSF. Don't waste your time with Struts. I believe JEE 6 standard is really awesome, so you don't need 3rd party technologies.
  • You can't make enterprise application without databases. Learn basics of JDBC and then go for Hibernate. I strongly suggest Hibernate through JPA.
Next steps:
  • After you learned these technologies and made some simple web applications, learn more about patterns and use a Dependency Injection framework.
  • You can use Spring or Seam. Though I recommend using Seam.
Books:
  • Head First Servlets and JSP
  • Core JSF (II) by Cay Horstmann
  • Java Persistent with Hibernamte by Christian Bauer and Gavin King
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Seam in Action by Dan Allen
Blogs and Websites:
  • I strongly recommend you not to start learning these technologies from blogs. Some tutorials are fine but you need books. The other problem of blog posts are that they mostly reflect the personal idea of the author and are not objective and reliable.
  • The only blogs I recommend is Javalobby and inRelationTo (To be up to date). Go and register to their RSS feeds.
Tools:
  • Eclipse Webtools 3.5.2
  • or Netbeans 6.8
  • Apache Tomcat or Glassfish as web server
  • Mysql as DBMS
Good luck in learning Java EE!

هیچ نظری موجود نیست:

ارسال یک نظر